Sunday, December 19, 2010

Reflections

I know everyone is probably tired of hearing me talk about White Rock and I will eventually stop. Eventually. But today is not that day so....

During my 10 mile run yesterday I had some time to think. And reflect over the race once again. I have done this SO many times I've lost count. But each time I remember something different. Like that around Mile 2 or 3 there was a car wreck in the middle of the course. Did anyone else see this? A car had plowed into a light pole and there were police everywhere. Or around Mile 4 on McKinney Ave at the water stop I heard a vaguely familiar voice say "Go Jessica." I looked up and saw Big Al Mac from the Kidd Kraddick Show. How could I have forgotten those things?

So yesterday I started thinking about Mile 19. About how I knew exactly where Jeff would be standing before I ever saw him. I knew this because we have stood in the exact same spot for the last 20 years watching for my Dad. Jeff, of course, was not around for all of them but he's been around long enough to know exactly where to go. And know that I would be expecting him there.

When I rounded that corner and saw him standing in precisely the spot I have stood so many times before, it was such a strange and big feeling. To be the one running. Not watching. BIG.

1 comment: