Friday, December 3, 2010

Out of the funk

My latest copy of Runner's World came in the mail yesterday. RW is my running bible. I read it cover to cover the days it arrives. When I curled up in bed last night, I only made it to page 5. I realized I was second guessing everything I had done for the last 5 months. Normally I read it with excitement about changing or improving my training, but not last night. My training is done. There is nothing I can do at this point but run. No point in giving myself more anxiety about what I should have done.

But I didn't sleep well last night. Not sure what I dreamed but I did wake up with the need to run. Not long, just a couple of miles. Somehow in the middle of the night I realized why I've been in kind of a funk. Why my training has been so blah for the last couple of weeks - once I hit 20 miles I stopped trying as hard. Not on purpose. But subconsciously I think I realized that I could do it so it was no longer such a big deal. And now this last week I've been worried that my training wasn't enough. Sigh.

So I ran 2 easy miles. I listened to music. Got my head in a better place. Enjoyed myself. Got out of my funk. I don't know what will happen Sunday but I know I'll be OK with whatever it is.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment