Saturday, October 23, 2010

18 and life to go.

(Yes, that’s right. I just referenced a Skid Row song. I’m not sure what’s worse – that it’s showing my age or or my taste in music? It’s a toss up.)

So 18 miles today. EIGHTEEN. That is officially the furthest I’ve gone. WAHOOO for me. I ran 16 last Saturday. I didn’t write about it because it wasn’t a great run. And I know, I know – they aren’t all great. But I really felt like I didn’t put much into that 16 so what I got from it was…not much. This 18? Well, I can’t say that I put a ton into it either but it’s different for some reason. Maybe because it was EIGHTEEN MILES?

I ran the first 10 with my regular running girls, Serene, Dianna, Robin, and Kim. It was a slow 10 (Dianna and Robin are running their very first FULL marathon next weekend in DC, The Marine Corp Marathon). The last 8 miles I did on my own. They were actually a bit faster pace than my first 10. Not much faster but some. It’s weird. I prefer to run with people but I run so much better when alone. I get into that kind of zen place when I’m by myself. I don’t seem to beat myself up as much. Again, weird.

My only real complaint about the day…I had to run up the hill at Glen Oaks 3 times. THREE TIMES PEOPLE (you McKinney folks know what I’m talking about). AND the hill in front of the Starbucks – TWICE. I swear I wanted to punch those people sitting at their little tables drinking Pumpkin Spice Lattes when I passed by that second time. And yes, I realize I just said I was in a zen place. Whatever. Obviously, my zen is different than yours.

And I’m feeling pretty great right now. Considering. My feet and ankles hurt but that’s about it. It’s amazing how far I’ve come. I remember not that long ago hardly being able to walk after 13 miles. Could I have done 8 more for 26.2? I don’t think so. That’s a little scary. That 18 was all I had in me. 26.2 seems light years away. But I’m sure I’ll get there. Eventually.

Daily Mantra:

One foot in front of the other.

3 comments:

  1. Great recap. So proud of you. I don't think 26.2 is light years away from you. In fact, it's only 5 weeks away for you. I don't say that to freak you out or make you nervous.

    But I'm realizing more and more, how much of running is MENTAL. Not telling you anything new, of course. I just realized it again today when I ran. The other day I could barely run 5 miles. But that's probably because I didn't WANT to run that day.

    Today, I had mentally prepared myself for 10 miles. So I did 10 miles, and it wasn't horribly difficult. Slow, but doable.

    You had only psyched yourself up for 18 miles today, so that's, therefore, all you had in you. Next week you'll psyche yourself up for more, and that's all you'll have in you.

    Crazy how it works that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I definitely run faster when I run with others. I get really slow when I'm by myself. Sure, I get into a zen place, and I like that. But the natural rhythm I settle in to on my own is more of a crawl. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so almost there! 18 to 26 is just a mental game. You are ready physically. Can't wait to see you cross the finish line. Congratulations on a great run today!

    ReplyDelete