Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day after day, I will run and I will pray

Today was a particularly hard day. I don't know why but it was. I just couldn't get in my groove. I was 40 minutes late for work. Traffic was awful. Then I couldn't seem to get anything done. Not for not trying. But things just weren't going my way. And then I ran...

I rushed home to get my 3 miles done before Jeff left. It was drizzling outside. Should be perfect running weather. And it was. But I just couldn't get into it. I wanted to stop at a mile. But I didn't. Then at 2, I wanted to stop. Again, I didn't. The 3rd mile wasn't any better. I know I was horribly slow. My form was off. Everything was wrong. I had a fleeting thought of "why oh why do I put myself through this? Wouldn't it be nice to not be training for something? To not feel required to run every day? Or almost every day?"

The answer is no. What would I be doing if I wasn't doing this? Watching TV? Cleaning house? Sitting in front of the computer? Running is therapy. I think. I pray. I work out all of life's problems. This is my meditation.

So even though it was a horrible, miserable 3 miles, I did it. And I learned something. I always learn something.

Daily Mantra:

I will run and I will pray

3 comments:

  1. I had the same experience on Tuesday...I was going to dinner with girlfriends that I hadn't seen in months but was bummed I was missing training so I went home and rushed out 2 miles. It was sooo hot and humid after the afternoon ran...I was miserable. I barely made two miles. But I knew that if I didn't do it I would have been even more upset...so as you said, "I ran!."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you. I've had the same feelings every day this week. I'm glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete