Monday, July 19, 2010

What's in a name

That which we call a rose by any other any other name would smell as sweet.


Too Hot to Handle. I should have known from the name alone that this was going to be a miserable, hard race. But really it could have been called "Easiest Race Ever" and I should still have known better. I should know that if I'm dying of heat exhaustion on an easy 4 mile training run, that a 15k would probably kill me. But I didn't know.

Delusions of grandeur, maybe? Yes, I think that was it. That's a mental illness, right. Yes, that's what happened. Temporary mental illness. That has to be why I signed up for this race. Temporary mental illness.

Well, that and the swag. Sadly, It's all about the swag really. I mean, look at this:

All this for a 15K? And it wasn't even an expensive race. Yep, I had no choice but to sign up. I had to have that super cute tech shirt. (And it really is super cute. The fit is amazing. Very flattering.)

I had no real plan for survival for this race. Just hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Everyone else had a plan. Intervals. Or walking through water stops. Or something. But no, not me. I never have a plan. I just run. And if I can't run anymore, I stop. But I usually find something in me that will keep me running. Even when I want to stop.

But not yesterday. I couldn't dig any deeper. There was nothing left to keep me going. What mile did you see me, Serene? Mile 6? Or was it 7? I don't know but I was just standing under the water mister the race people had set up. Just standing there. Getting drenched. I think I was in some sort of daze or something. I heard someone call my name and I was like, ohh crap I should be running not standing. So I ran. I ran for another mile or two. Then I just stopped again. I was at least walking this time but still. I must have looked bad because my friend, Meg, comes up behind me and tells me to pour some water on my head. I did it without argument. Before that, I really thought I was going to have to walk it in. And I did walk some more. I had no choice. It was awful. But I finished. With a horrible and embarrassing time. But I finished.

I talked to a friend who ran it also. A MUCH younger and faster friend. She lost it at mile 7 too. Had to walk some. Sadly, her pain made me feel so much better. (Yes, Brooke, I was happy to hear about your pain. Whatever. That doesn't make me a bad person. Right?)

Anyway, I will wear my shirt proudly. I earned it. Will I sign up for this again next year? Who knows, maybe. I guess it depends on the swag.

Daily Mantra:

What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment