Monday, May 10, 2010

Technology

My obsession with the Garmin has prompted many discussions over the last week or so. All about technology. It brings so much to the sport, right? How fast am I running? How much faster did I run today than I did yesterday? Exactly how many miles did I run? What is my average pace? My average heart rate? How many calories did I burn? And so on…

My Dad told me that “at some point you can just get too technical. If you feel like it was a good run, then it was a good run.” Simple.

I had a friend ask whether or not I thought she needed a heart monitor. Well, she didn’t necessarily ask me but she asked in the general direction. My immediate reaction was NO! Now, I’ve never used a heart monitor but I have run with people who use them. And my experience is they slow down and speed up according to the beeps of the monitor. But isn’t your heart rate supposed to go up when working out? And what about speed work? It’s gonna beep off the charts, right?! Anyway, I think Dad’s right…you CAN be too technical. Listen to to your body. You know when to push it and when to take it easy. Simple. Now does that mean I no longer want a Garmin? Of course not. Don’t be silly.

Sooo in keeping with today’s theme…I bring you the Quote of the Week:


“Act like a horse. Be dumb. Just run.”

Jumbo Elliot, track and field coach


Side Note:

I update my blog with my iPhone now because Blogspot has been blocked at work. What?! Yes, it's true. I guess they want us to use our time more productively. Rubbish, I say! Anyway, please excuse any typos or grammatical errors (Aunt D and Kelly). It is not an easy task.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I got publicly called out for being the Grammar Nazi! Oh no! Well, rest assured, I will not call you out on any grammatical errors-- especially since lately I'm making an intentional effort to not care about those things as much. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. We should draw each other's names at Christmas, forget the "suggested spending limit", and just buy each other Garmins. And we should pretend that Christmas is in June, so we can have them sooner. What a dream...

    ReplyDelete