Sunday, March 28, 2010

Enjoying the run

So I ran my long miles yesterday with the TEAM. 6 miles. I'm training for Heels and Hills Half Marathon on May 2nd. Yep, that's right. I just completed my 2nd half 2 weeks ago and I'm already training again. But really, does the training ever stop? You complete one, then move on to the next one. I just think that's the way it's gonna be from now on.

My girlfriends got up early this morning (Sunday) to do their long miles. I find myself wishing I was out there with them. Even though this is a rest day for me. Even though I've done my miles already. I just want to run. Partly, because it's like therapy when you run with good friends. And partly because I just want to run.

It's funny how it happened. Me enjoying the actual running part. I've always enjoyed the accomplishment. And the time with friends. And the new friends I've made. But I never really enjoyed the running part. It hurt. And I was tired. And most of the time I wanted to stop. But I've stopped hurting, I'm hardly ever tired, and never need to stop. Now, I long for the run. I find myself thinking about it all day. Strange.

I think this has happened because a combination of things....I have worked on my form so much that most of my pain has gone away. I faithfully do my strengthening exercises, and I eat and hydrate like a crazy person. Probably my changes in the way I eat and hydrate have helped the most physically. But mentally...I've gotten out of my own head. I'm no longer competing against anyone but myself. Not that anyone was actually competing against me but I was them. And it's made a world of difference. I think competition is good. I was just competing against the wrong person.

It's a crazy thing letting go....

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, Jessica! Funny, I have the same attitude about it, too. I have started eating better and feel more energized from running now. I love putting together my own training schedule and can't wait for the next opportunity to run against myself:)

    ReplyDelete