Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 106 - DRC Half Marathon

Sunday, November 1, 2009

I didn't actually run the DRC Half but I volunteered at the Team In Training Station at mile 10. It was a great experience, handing out water and gatorade to the passing runners. "Water. Water. Water. Water. Water up front. Gatorade in the back. Water. Water. Water" That's what I said, over and over, for 3 hours. My arm is actually sore today from holding water out for the passing runners. Hard but totally worth it! I had a blast.

PLUS!!! I got to cheer on some of my awesome friends as they completed their first 13.1 miles. Woo Hoo girls! You rock! I was so proud! And inspired!

On to my run...

I was scheduled to run 10 miles on Saturday with the Team. Maggie and I have been battling the worst cold for the last couple of days. I didn't get any sleep Friday night and somehow slept through my 5:30am alarm. It was probably for the best. I don't think I could have handled 10 miles.

Sooooooo I decided to run Sunday night. I had really been debating this run all day. Do I try to tackle the 10 miles by myself? Do I just run 5 miles since my shins seem to be overworked? And then slowly build up to my 12 miles this weekend? What is the right thing to do?

Since it was super dark when I set out...I opted for the 5 miles. It was probably a mistake but oh well, it's done and I can't change it. So how did my 5 miles go? Pretty good. I stretched really well before I set out. Then I walked (super fast) for the first half mile to warm up my muscles. Then I ran. And with minimal pain. Yea me!!! I almost pushed it and kept running BUT I think that's what gets me into these painful situations in the first place. I just don't know when to say when. Ahhhhhh but who does really?

Daily Mantra:

Take it easy.

Distance:

5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment