Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 99 - 8 miles, not 10

I missed the TEAM run yesterday because Jeff had to work. I've taken Maggie with me in the past but there was just no way I could push that jogging stroller for 10 miles. So I ran today...

I've been having shin pain for the last 3 weeks. Some days are better than others but everyday there is pain. I'm pretty sure it all stems from the fact that my life has been so busy and I just can't seem to get my weekday miles in. Then I go out and run 6 or 8 on Saturdays. My muscles were just not prepared for it and I've been paying the price ever since.

So I've been in fix it and prevent it mode all week. I looked up every possible reason for the pain. It's probably shin splints but who really knows. One website told me certain stretches to do every morning and night. I've done those. Another told me to do strengthening stretches. I've done those. Another told me to take ibuprofen and ice. Did that. Another told me to work on my form. Did that. And one told me to apply heat before I set out to run. I did that this morning too.

So what worked? Who knows but something did. Don't get me wrong...my shins still hurt. But I was able to run without huge discomfort. I will continue all of this stuff until I get myself back to where I was before. AND I will get my miles in this week. I know. I know. I've said that before but I mean it this time. Some how. Some way.

Now on to the run...I mapped out 10 miles. And I set off! Right into the middle of one of Stonebridge's 5K/10K fun runs. The side walk was crowed and I was going the opposite direction so I changed my course. Whew! That's good. Nope because there they were again. I turned. They turned. I backtracked. They backtracked. These runs attract a lot of runners and they were EVERYWHERE! I'm coming up Ridge Road thinking I lost them, turn behind the YMCA and realize I'm about to cross their finish line! Crap! So I off road it, go around the huge crowd, and get back on track. Problem is I lost track of mileage. I figured if I ran up Virginia and back down through Peregrine to Falcon View and back to my neighborhood, it would be about 10 miles. Once I got near my house I glanced at my watch. No way was that 10 miles!! I haven't been running long enough. Crap. I try not to look at my watch too often during a run. Time passes by soooo slow when you do that. So crap. I just couldn't make myself pass my house and run 2 more miles.

BUT! It was a good run. I will NOT beat myself up about it. I ran 8 miles in 1 hr 25 minutes. I shaved 3 minutes off my time. For that, I rock.

Daily Mantra:

I will not hurt. I will not hurt.

Distance:

8.1 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment