Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 55 - Heros for Children 5K

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Instead of our normal Saturday morning group run, my fellow Team In Training folks and I participated in the Heros for Children 5K. It is a wonderful cause and was an inspirational morning.

For most of us, this was our first official race ever. I was actually a bit nervous. Dad was in town for Maggie's bday, so he joined Team In Training for the day and ran with us. Or with me anyway. He ran next to me the entire time. I know he was bored out of his mind...I'm way to slow for him. I could tell he was physically trying to slow himself down. Oh Dad, it's gonna be a long 13.1 miles for you in December. Are you sure you want to run next to me? You can bail at any time! No hard feelings.

Now, on to the race...

As I said before, I was a little nervous. Partly because this was my first race and partly because I was afraid my leg would start hurting again. I took the first mile slow. No leg pain. Second mile was still pretty slow. No leg pain. Third mile still slow. No leg pain.

I finished strong but I had way too much energy left. I should have pushed harder. Run faster. I said this in front of both David (coach) and Dad. In unison, they both said "No you shouldn't have." It was kind of funny. But I still wish I would have pushed harder. My official time was 34:11. I finished 218 out of 515. It should have been around 32 minutes. It will be next time.

Team In Training is about raising money and awareness for blood cancers. It's not about your race time. It's not about how you finish. It's about finishing. I get that. But I grew up with a runner. That concept is harder for me. I will always count how many people come in after me. It will always be about time. It will always be about how you finish. It is a race. It is a contest. I can't help it. I should have pushed harder.

Daily Mantra:

Push harder next time!

Distance:

3.1 miles:

Total Miles Run So Far:

74.88


Below is directly from the Heros for Children website...

Currently, an estimated 12,400 children, ages 0-20 years, are diagnosed with a form of cancer in the United States . With diagnosis comes the challenge to provide financially for the family. In order to provide constant care for their child, parents frequently lose or quit their jobs. The money Heroes for Children donates directly to families helps relieve some of the strain and stress during this difficult time in their lives. Whether it is to pay a medical bill, buy gas for the frequent trips to the hospital, or keep a family from having their electricity turned off, Heroes for Children is committed to helping families. There is no other organization that provides such versatility when it comes to financially assisting families. A social worker at a Texas children's hospital said, "The impact of the aid and the hope that you have instilled in these families cannot be measured." With your help, Heroes for Children can continue to assist these families and make a difference in our community.










No comments:

Post a Comment